Sunday, March 22, 2015

Preschool gardening

My library doesn't do a lot of programming on the weekends, since there is only one staff member per department and we are only open 4 hours on Sundays, so I like to come up with fun weekend programs when I am working. I try to find programs that require minimal set-up so that I can maximize my time on-desk.

Since this program was created for children ages 3 years to grade 3, we read a story to set the mood.
How Groundhog's Garden Grew

This story is a little long for the younger crowd, but includes all of the vocabulary associated with gardening, like root crops, perennials, and pollination.

Then we decorated our pots. I found a kit from Oriental Trading, and bought two packages of bean seeds. For some unknown reason, I discovered a bag of dirt in a craft cabinet, so I used that as well. I love these pots because they don't have giant holes in the bottom for dirt and water to spill out. Everyone got a pot and packet of foam shapes and markers to decorate. Note; the foam shapes do not have adhesive backs, so glue is necessary, plan accordingly for younger ones.  
When they were done decorating they could fill their pot with dirt. I placed a bucket of dirt with several spoons on a tarp on the floor. Once their pot was full I let them choose two seeds to plant, about 2 inches down. We had 20 children attend this Sunday afternoon program.

No comments:

Post a Comment