Monday, March 9, 2015

Outreach Storytime, Fractured Fairytales-Three Little Pigs

I took the format from last month and ran with it, the school-age kids seem to enjoy the fractured versions of their favorite tales.

I made craft stick puppets and had several 2nd grade volunteers help me tell the original story. Then we talked about what we could do to make the story different. I introduced words like protagonist, antagonist and point of view to determine who was telling the tale, and who is telling which tale.

Book:THE TRUE STORY OF THE THREE LITTLE PIGS

We discussed the wolf's point of view and how different characters can see the same situation in different ways (I am still trying to come up with a great way to tie this into the topic of bullying, but I am drawing a blank so far.) We did discuss the actions that the pigs or the wolf could take to be a better friend.

Book:The Three Ninja Pigs

I love the rhymes in this book. And Dan Santat is my hero-his picture book The Adventures of Beekle is the 2015 Caldecott Award winner. We discussed the similarities and differences between each book and the original story and made a triple Venn diagram on giant post-it note posters.

No comments:

Post a Comment