Thursday, April 9, 2015

Storytime, Dance

The second to last storytime of this 12 week session had ended, only 1  left until we break for summer. This is also my last storytime session at this job. :( I'm going to miss all my kiddos, but I'm only moving to a library that is 20 minutes away, so I can still come visit if I want to be the creepy adult with no kids hanging around the children's department.

We have been having lovely spring rain for this last week, so I wanted to get the kids up and moving today.

Giraffes Can't Dance

We talked about rhyme and pacing of the story, and I let the kids bust out their favorite dance moves like Gerald, the giraffe in the story.

We simply had to keep moving with several rounds of 'head, shoulders, knees at toes' and increasingly difficult speeds.

We don't usually stand while reading books, but we had so many wigglers this morning that we stood and marched to the sounds of:

Dancing Feet!

Ducks flapped, bears stomped, ladybugs tiptoed and caterpillars wiggled in this simple rhythmic movement book.

For our craft I printed out giraffes from Edupics.com to color. Then we added brown paper strips to give the giraffe its trademark mane.


No comments:

Post a Comment