Monday, January 12, 2015

Frozen party

This movie is such a huge hit, I knew we had to capitalize on the popularity of the books and movies and do a progam based on the characters! I set up eight stations around the room for this party.

Station 1: Roll a Snowman Game: I found this printable from Come Together Kids.

Station 2: Olaf Cup Toss: I found 3 white styrofoam cups and 6 snowflake cups in a craft cabinet, and I decorated the white cups similar to these from Growing a Jeweled Rose.
Snowman Slam- my kids have been having so much fun with this EASY TO MAKE game
Station 3:Sven handprint craft: I set out craft sticks, tape, scissors, pencils and brown construction paper and let the kiddos make these aweome reindeer hats, minus the faces.
Image of Handprint Reindeer Hat
Station 4: coloring pages: Found a TON of Frozen-themed printables here.

Station 5: Thaw a Frozen Heart: This one I came up with on my own, it takes a little more prep work. I cut out heart shapes from my leftover felt collection and froze them in ice cube trays overnight. I put each ice cube into a sandwich bag and let the kids melt them and take the 'frozen heart' home.

Station 6:Build Kristoff's ice tower: We recieved about 500 of these small white paper boxes as a donation almost two years ago, and I have less than 50 left to use! (Stay tuned for more crafts on small white boxes, I am determined to use every last one of these). I set about 30 of these bad boys on a table and we have a tower-stacking contest!

Station 7: Frozen Fractals: paper snowflakes from scrap paper are so much fun, but oh my the mess we made!

Station 8: pom pom pickup: Set up two bowls of pom poms and two hand shovels. The goal of the game was to get as many pom poms into the bucket in 30 seconds as possible. Without opening your eyes. Using only the shovel. Hilarity ensues.

Things I would do differently: I might reconsider doing a Friday evening program in the future. We marketed this program for a start time of 4pm, knowing that our library closes at 5:30; however, people kept coming in the door until 5:25 and got upset when they weren't able to participate. We had to turn lights off in order to get people out of the doors at 5:31. Not ideal. I didn't have time to clean up the program room or anywhere else for that matter. Paper snowflakes are fun to make, but there was a light dusting of paper scraps surrounding the table all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment